Wednesday 3 October 2018

History Today?

I once thought of writing a book called Eminent Blairians, until I realised that had never been any. I am not joking.

Anyway, while I re-read the chapter of Eminent Churchillians on Mountbatten with more relish on each occasion, and while I thoroughly commend Andrew Roberts for having bothered to go to my native St Helena for his work on Napoleon, I concede that Roberts may not be everyone's cup of tea. I disagree very profoundly with his politics.

But he deserved better than Nick Robinson, who invited him to compare Boris Johnson to Churchill, and who asked him, a Cambridge PhD historian and a winner of the Wolsfon History Prize, why he had bothered to write a book on Churchill when "Boris" had already done so. Enough of this really has become more than enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment