Friday 6 November 2020

No Need To Concede

What is this "concession" business? Laura Pidcock never conceded. She and her entourage just swept out in a huff. Does that mean that last year's election to the parliamentary seat of North West Durham is still going on? In America, perhaps it would.

By the way, I know that some strokes can be pulled by the right-wing machines of what at least purport to be relatively leftish parties. In 2001, such a machine refused me what was then my home Constituency Labour Party's required nomination for the National Executive Committee, although everything else was in place.

In 2003, it refused to hold a selection meeting for a District Council seat because I would have won it, and merely announced its own candidate instead. As expected, my declared total for Durham County Council in 2017 was lower than the number of votes that I had certainly received in each of Lanchester and Burnhope. 

Last year, 33 candidates contested the six parliamentary seats that came under the jurisdiction of that County Council. 32 were given specific times at which to attend County Hall in order to submit their nomination papers and put down their deposits. I alone had to turn up unannounced and simply refuse to leave until I had been seen. 

And I am also still waiting for my copy of the electoral register. They now have until 2024 for that one, since I am a declared and active candidate for the parliamentary seat of North West Durham at the next General Election. Please give generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment