Thursday 29 December 2022

Devolution Deal

Stunned though I am both at the number and at the calibre of the people who have been in touch to ask me to reconsider and to stand for Mayor of the North East, the answer is still no. I am going to be busy enough in 2023 and 2024.

We need a basically sound candidate who would identify a number of projects in every ward of Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, North Tyneside and South Tyneside, equal to the number of City or Borough Councillors, and in every former District ward of Northumberland and Durham, equal to the number of former District Councillors.

As that candidate, undertake that if by the end of your term of office any of those projects were not running as specified, then you simply would not stand again. I would vote for you. As far as possible, I would campaign for you. Let's be having you.

2 comments:

  1. You would still only be 51 at the second election to this position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be in May, so I shall still be only 50.

      Delete