Thursday 18 July 2019

Remotely Approaching

This afternoon saw a rebellion by 47 Conservative MPs, including the Chancellor of the Exchequer, leading to the Government's crushing defeat by 41 votes on Dominic Grieve's amendment to prevent Boris Johnson from proroguing Parliament. It is clear that the coming Johnson Government already does not have a majority in the House of Commons, or indeed anything remotely approaching one. Be that a good thing or a bad thing, it is a fact. 

Another hung Parliament is coming, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it. A new party is now in the process of registration. I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up. I would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so. In any event, please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment