Tuesday 23 July 2019

Pfeffel

Raise a glass to the one in eight paying members of a major political party who, when given the chance to vote directly for the Prime Minister, decided not to bother.

Boris Johnson has been elected with only half as many votes as Owen Smith managed in 2016. But those who did support him have won. The Hard Right is now the Government. For the first time in at least 29 years, it can no longer blame anyone else.

Beyond that, another hung Parliament is coming, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it. A new party is now in the process of registration. I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up. I would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so. In any event, please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

2 comments:

  1. The result would appear to negate your repeated assertions over many months that Boris would never be elected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never said that. I knew he'd win if he made the final two. How long he'll last, though, is a different question.

      Delete