Tuesday 3 January 2023

In Bold Below


Panorama, BBC One, 10 July 2019

The programme contained an interview with Izzy Lenga who had experienced antisemitism after she became a student activist. Viewers heard her discuss her experiences:

I’m Izzy Lenga, I joined the Labour Party in 2015… The antisemitic abuse I received was what I was subjected to every single day… Telling me Hitler was right, telling me Hitler did not go far enough… 

In Labour Party meetings… we’ve seen people engage in Holocaust denial… and that’s terrifying for Jewish members… It absolutely breaks my heart to say but I do not think the Labour Party is a safe space for Jewish people any more.

If the programme were to be re-broadcast, we would include some additional comments (in bold below) from Ms Lenga’s original interview to give viewers further context around her experiences:

I’m Izzy Lenga, I joined the Labour Party in 2015… When I was a student… being quite a high profile Jewish woman student, I was subjected to quite a lot of like nasty vitriol and abuse… The antisemitic abuse I received… was what I was subjected to every single day… Predictably a lot of it came from the far right… neo-Nazi abuse… telling me Hitler was right, telling me Hitler did not go far enough and even more… What absolutely baffled me, was at the same time, I was receiving… very similar and almost often the exact same tropes and anti-Semitic abuse… from the far left.

In Labour Party meetings… we’ve seen people engage in Holocaust denial… and that’s terrifying for Jewish members… It absolutely breaks my heart to say but I do not think the Labour Party is a safe space for Jewish people any more.

Over to the BBC to say when, exactly, it did indeed intend to re-broadcast that programme, even at two o’clock in the morning on BBC Four. That once-fêted Panorama has been sent to live with The Black and White Minstrel Show. As for John Ware, when, exactly, is any broadcaster going to use him again? He has his ill-gotten damages to keep him in his old age, although he would have lost in front of a jury, and the judge had struck out his mark’s defence at an earlier hearing. But by any other measure, Ware is ruined, as he richly deserves to be. And there are still two years to go until the next General Election.

2 comments:

  1. Ware made that programme so he could pocket the winnings every time he sued a little person for calling it what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is an old grifter. And a lèse-majesté principle in these matters means that what you say about him, or Rachel Riley, or any of the rest of them, can be libellous even if it is true.

      Delete