Monday 5 October 2009

That Seventies Show

Another 13-year-old father, apparently. Will his 16-year-old girlfriend get what a boy her age would rightly get if he went to bed with girl of 12 or 13?

Such is the baleful legacy of the era of Roman Polankski and Harriet Harman.

Speaking of her, an official history of MI5 "reveals" that it never really managed any sort of handle on Soviet infiltration and other sectarian Leftist activity. These days, it does nothing more than churn out propaganda on the BBC, depicting pro-lifers as terrorists, suggesting that the re-emergent Russia that dares not to be the Soviet Union would set off a nuclear bomb in London, that sort of rubbish.

And who are the BBC? Very largely yet more of the people on whom MI5 was unable to manage any sort of handle. Did it ever even try?

5 comments:

  1. Well if youre interested in the History of MI5 it is actually the subject of a project/MA course at Queens University started last month.
    Many interesting students have signed up.
    Of course I was rather disappointed that some of the professors did not attempt to recruit me to MI5 during my most recent spell there.
    But at least I did enjoy myself openly speculating in specific tutorials if any Politics or History lecturers were "recruiters" for one form of Intelligence or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have always rumours been at Durham about certain individuals. Quite the most unsuited. So doubtless true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh in the early 1980s we had a Durham graduate in our office. He had written his dissertation on Local Government. Actually I still have it in the house somewhere.

    He read the Times. I read the Guardian. He was always wanting me to take him on a tour of West Belfast. And clumsily asking me questions over coffee.
    I once asked him if he was in MI5 or MI6. He seemed to have all the credentials. An ardent Thatcherite, his father was a Polish WW2 officer in Britain. He spoke Polish.

    If he was actually a "spook" he was the worlds worst spook. He only stayed in the job about two years before moving to a job in the private sector with an "opinion poll company".

    Actually I am pretty convinced he was a "spook".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they are the most staggeringly inept lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasa ctually quite disappointed to see him go. I had only just worked out how to spell his name correctly.
    When I pointed out his credentials for being in British Intelligence including "you are to the right of Atilla the Hun and you are a homosexual"......he got rather red in the face.
    The odd thing was that I did not mean it seriously. Only in the next 18 months or so, I kinda worked out that there was a kinda logic to it.

    Of course most civil service departments have on-site spooks usually with a cover of doing jobs in "Human Resources" that dont exist and they never show up at social gatherings.
    And they sit together in the canteen.

    ReplyDelete