Tuesday 6 August 2013

Nothing To Fear

Look, not being in the Labour Party did not kill me, even if other things nearly did during that time. Not being let back into it would not kill me, either. But it would be nice to have a straight "Yes" or "No", once and for all.

Pat Glass has been unanimously renominated by all Branches, and therefore reselected unopposed. That is a truly remarkable achievement in this Constituency Labour Party. Her predecessor used to have to depend on no small number of Branches declining to nominate anyone, including the sitting Member.

And as for being after the County seat in Lanchester next time, I may now be seen hobbling around that very village, when I can and while I still can, like a man 40 or 50 years my senior.

Perhaps if you become a middle-aged Parish Councillor and school governor in your early twenties (had the vacancies arisen, then the party would at that stage have given me those things in my late teens), then everything else speeds up accordingly: middle-aged at 21 means getting on at 35, very old at 45, and dead by 50? Only time will tell, but that is starting to make sense in and of my life.

So Labour has nothing to fear if it lets me back in. And I have nothing to fear if, as now seems certain, it does not. But I would just like to know, definitely and definitively, one way or the other.

6 comments:

  1. For goodness' sake man, give up on this 'dead by fifty' nonsense! I have reached the point where I simply check your blog to discover what I think about a particular issue. You can't just make weird death references, it's irresponsible! Apart from anything else I am waiting for the next book! So buck up and greetings from West Yorkshire! Oh yes, and stop talking about that Telegraph blogger bloke - that is the only dull(ish) bit of your material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't your very well connected ex housemate Tom Hamilton help out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gawd knows. Haven't spoken to Tom for years. Not by design, just, well, you know, life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and we are all waiting for the next book...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why on Earth did Kamm and Thompson hate you so much? Just because you once condemned Israel?

    That can't possibly explain it.

    Then again, Kamm has hounded Neil Clarke for eight years, following one negative book review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed so.

    But on topic, please.

    ReplyDelete