Tuesday 8 June 2010

Unhealthy

Up to now, I have quite liked Andrew Lansley. He voted against the Iraq War. And simply by staying as it was, his party had, in line with public opinion, a more left-wing health policy than New Labour for as long as there was any New Labour.

But all that ended as a price of coalition with the Lib Dems, supposedly the party of Beveridge. Today, we see what that entails: charging hospitals if patients are readmitted "too soon" after having been discharged, or if they are kept in "too long" due to complications.

After my first my operation, I had been out for a week when I had to be rushed back in with a pulmonary embolism. No one's fault. One of those things. But how would my recovery have been assisted by the cuts that this proposal envisages?

No comments:

Post a Comment