Tuesday 27 June 2017

Proudly Parochial

The supporters, and perhaps even the persons, of Jeremy Corbyn and Tom Watson ought to keep in mind that they owe their respective positions to the votes of large numbers of the same people.

In similar vein, I am getting it in both my left and my right ears about Lanchester Parish Council.

As a former long-serving member, who stood down voluntarily in 2013 and who then failed to win back his seat this year, I comment with some trepidation.

But people have asked for my view. Therefore, here it is.

I voted for 15 candidates to fill the 15 seats on Lanchester Parish Council, and 12 of those candidates were elected.

Among those 12 were, and are, Labour, Independent, Conservative and Liberal Democrat representatives.

No one on that Council would have been elected on the votes of people who had voted only Labour, or only Independent, or only Conservative, or only Liberal Democrat.

Such ballot papers were submitted, but I was at the count, and I can assure you that there were not enough of them to have elected anybody.

Everyone who was elected ought to keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment