Thursday 20 July 2017

The First Shall Be Last

The really sad thing about how many Firsts are now being awarded is that they really did work that hard to get them.

Worked. That hard. At university. I don't know what the world is coming to.

Of course, we knew the deal: at least 50 for absolutely any old rubbish, in return for no more than 68 for anything, ever.

I was once given back something with a 7 crossed out, and 68 written next to it.

I wish that I had kept it, as a perfect representation of the glory days of an institution that is no doubt well past them now.

4 comments:

  1. While you are still around the place, the glory days are still in full swing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then there is no reason why they need ever end.

      Delete
  2. I studied an OU degree part time over six years and got a First (2009-2015) then quit work to do a Master's (2015-2016) as a mature student at a decent North East university and got a Distinction.

    Some of the International students could barely write English and no one ever failed on the course. The standards to just pass were not very high.

    I'm not sure whether I should be proud of my results or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you know that you did the work, whether or not anyone else did, then yes.

      Delete