Wednesday 21 August 2019

Getting There

I am not in principle opposed to HS2. Far from it, in fact. But it is not the priority.

Here in the North East, we do not feel so isolated from London by rail. We sit down in Darlington, Durham or Newcastle, and while it is three hours before we stand up at King's Cross, in the heart of the West End, nevertheless that is what we do, without having needed to change trains.

Like the huge majority of the population across all political allegiances, and like so conservative a figure as Peter Hitchens, I support the renationalisation of the rail services as each franchise came up for renewal, and thus at no cost.

I would make that the backbone of a rebuilt network of public transport, eventually free at the point of use, and extending to every village in this or any other constituency.

Even prior to that, I would require the approval of the House of Commons for any increase in public transport fares, with the cost of HS2 diverted to reconnecting many towns to the rail network. That would include several towns in North West Durham.

Another hung Parliament is coming, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it. A new party is now in the process of registration.

I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up. Buy the book here.

I would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so. Please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment