Friday 16 August 2019

By George

Has Harriet Harman been expelled from the Labour Party? If not, why not? I have no complaints, but I was banned for life from the Labour Party for far less than she has been doing over the last two days. To the best of my knowledge, the only other person subject to a lifetime ban is George Galloway. 

George is one of the people to whom this book is dedicated. He has never formally resigned as one of my Campaign Patrons. I wish that he had gone for Birmingham Yardley instead, but he is standing at West Bromwich East, even though he agrees with Tom Watson on at least some things, whereas he disagrees with Jess Phillips about everything.

And they have personal history. Or at least, she claims that they have. She is not always a reliable source of information. But the removal of Tom as Deputy Leader would see the Parliamentary Labour Party nominate unanimously the next Harriet Harman in line. Quite probably, that would be Jess Phillips. If not, then it would certainly be another enemy of Chris Williamson and of Julian Assange.

But hey ho. George is standing at West Bromwich East, and he is attracting quite a bit of attention. There is no political reason to support his candidacy there but not to support mine at North West Durham. Never mind the incumbent Labour MP. She has only been here five minutes, and she will be the candidate only if the Constituency Labour Party has not had the time to deselect her.

Unlike either George or me, she does not support Lexit, or Modern Monetary Theory, or the Universal Basic Income, or Julian Assange, or Chris Williamson, or the coal industry, or putting Tony Blair on trial over the war in Iraq. Unlike either George or me, she is not an opponent of Trident, or of NATO, or of Britain’s relationship with Saudi Arabia, or of gender self-identification, or of the IHRA Definition of Antisemitism. If I am incorrect as to her position on any of these points, then do please let me know, with supporting evidence. This list is not exhaustive.

But she is an irrelevance. My candidacy has been gestating for almost as long as she has been alive. Another hung Parliament is coming, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it. A new party is now in the process of registration. I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up. Buy the book hereI would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so. Please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment