Thursday 5 August 2010

Using Your Vote Alternatively

The thing about an AV election is that, unless there are only two candidates, standing in it is not standing "against" anyone. And all the seats will be new next time, while there will be fewer of them.

Labour holds every seat in County Durham, and of the three that border this one, all have MPs who have been there longer than my friend and still-serving Parish Council colleague, Pat Glass. All three of those MPs are younger than Pat (even if only very slightly in one case), and one of them has been a Minister. Not that it matters to me: that's called politics, and in any case standing in an AV election is not standing against anyone.

Following yesterday's post about Simon Hughes, I have had more than one communication asking whether, in view of the most likely Labour nominee, I was going to bill myself as "The Straight Choice", and have my male campaign workers wear stickers reading "I've Been Kissed By Kevan". Well, I might just go with the first part. As for people who have been kissed by Kevan, I am hoping for at least one as a prominent supporter. Remember, standing in an AV election is not standing against anyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment