Tuesday 4 August 2009

Out Of The Ordinary

Does anyone know why today is the Feast of Saint John Vianney in the Ordinary Form but of Saint Dominic in the Extraordinary Form, while Saturday is the Feast of Saint Dominic in the Ordinary Form but of Saint John Vianney in the Extraordinary Form?

And how do users of the Extraordinary Form feel about (presumably) never keeping any Saint who had not been canonised by 1962, who might not have died by 1962, and I suppose it is possible had not even been born by 1962?

On Saturday, or as soon as possible thereafter when I feel up to it, something about Saint Dominic will appear on here. Surgery has interrupted my formation as a Lay Dominican (what used to be called a Tertiary), but it is ongoing.

5 comments:

  1. So the feast on Saturday -- what do you do for that? Is it like Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David

    You probably know more about this than I. I thought that the saint was elevated in 1928, and then downgraded from a feast day to a memorial; the consequence being a difference in the days on which he was remembered. However, I will go and have a snarfle round and see if I can turn up why, when free.

    Hope that all is well with you, Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, mercifully not.

    Martin, I am just baffled at the swapping of the dates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and the Dominicans are a good fit. Intellectuals who do lots of justice and peace work, sensibly orthodox and moderately traditional, Augustinian roots and Thomist fruits. Very you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once heard someone say that because his views on Our Lady's Immaculate Conception, Thomas Aquinas was still in Purgatory. But he was a Jesuit novice. He'll learn.

    ReplyDelete