Tuesday 9 September 2008

The Democrats: Putting Things Right

Today's from the superb Right Democrat is this:

Democratic Congressional candidate Jack Davis (NY D-26) tells it like it is on the campaign trail. Below is a recent speech by Davis about the state of the American economy:

Good Morning. Thank you for coming.

Last night, John McCain spoke at the Republican National Convention, but there was nothing in his remarks that should give hope to the millions of Americans who are living check to check, or struggling to find good paying jobs.

John McCain is an unrepentant free trader. He once said “I don’t care how many jobs you outsource.” Well, I do, and there are a lot of other people in this region who know that free trade is a job killer and has destroyed our economy.

John McCain has called himself the biggest booster of free trade. Well I am the biggest booster of working men and women, and that’s why I am running for Congress.

The question before voters in this Congressional Election is whether you want Chris Lee, the handpicked replacement of Tom Reynolds and the Republican establishment, or someone with the independence to go to Washington and represent the people and not the special interest groups that out source our jobs.

Chris Lee supports John McCain and his policies. Chris Lee and John McCain’s idea of prosperity is the highest gas prices in history and a mortgage crisis that threatens too many families.

We don’t need more of the same policies that have given us a recession and the worst economy since the Great Depression.

Never have we seen a clearer divide between political rhetoric and hard economic reality. Last night John McCain offered Americans hoping and working for a better economy more of the same. Today we got it: The Department of Labor announced that unemployment has reached 6.1 percent – the highest it has been in five years.

That is wrong.

We need Democrats in the White House and Congress who will put your families first.

John McCain and Chris Lee know that free trade is not free and they must hear this message, not just from me, but from you. The price paid by working men and women in this country is just too high.

There are too many men and women who have to explain to their families that they lost their job because it was cheaper to do the work in China. To many young people have had to leave their families behind to seek work elsewhere; and we are all paying the price at the pump and in grocery stores.

But it doesn’t have to be this way.

I believe the solution to these problems is good paying jobs. With more good paying jobs, our taxes would be lower, Social Security would be solvent, and our communities would be stronger and safer than ever before.

But the lobbyists and special interests in Washington are buying politicians.

We go to war, and they outsource contracts for equipment and systems to foreign nations.

We talk about building a border fence, and part of it is made in China.

We talk about government health care for people who need it, but there are 13 health care lobbyists for every Member of Congress. Nothing gets done to make health care more affordable or accessible for working men and women and retirees.

The special interest groups, multinational corporations and their Washington lawyers and lobbyists have too much power. Their campaign contributions buy them access and influence.

Well, their money does not impress me, and I will not take a dime. I have pledged to work for a dollar a year. I cannot be bought.

I am personally financing my campaign with 3 million dollars. I am refusing special interest money in my campaign and challenged Chris Lee to do the same.

So far, he has failed to meet that challenge. So allow me to offer yet another challenge.

Chris, join me in standing against free trade. Join me in standing up to the special interests, and join me in standing up for the American working men, women, and retirees.

Voters have a choice in November, Chris, and so do you. Will you stand with your party and the failed Bush/McCain free trade policies, or will you join with me and the Democrats in opposing the free trade policies that are killing our economy?

Buffalo is now the third poorest large city in the U.S.

You deserve new leadership in Washington - leadership that fights for workers and retirees, not for the special interests that outsource our jobs.

I am the only candidate with a lifetime of creating jobs, balancing budgets and getting things done for working men and women, and that won’t change when I go to Washington.

I believe we can turn things around, because I believe in America.

I'm an optimist, but I know I cannot win this fight alone. I won't ask you for your money, but I am asking for your vote and your ideas.

I ask you to join this campaign to change Washington, and most of all - I need you - all of you - to join the fight to Save American Jobs, farms, and industries.

Thanks for coming now let’s get to work.

http://jackdavis.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment