Wednesday 26 June 2019

Beyond His Ken

At least half of Boris Johnson's parliamentary supporters are Remainers or he would have gone the way of Esther McVey, and Jeremy Hunt is still going to take 40 per cent of the vote in the Conservative Party at large. The theory that it is a strongly pro-Brexit party is laughable, and is put about by people who merely long for it to be true. The only proposition even more absurd than that is that we might have left the European Union by 31st October, or ever on WTO terms while Parliament still existed.

As for the idea that Johnson has a record of beating Labour, he has turned a previously safe seat into a marginal (whereas Hunt has done the opposite), and if you are talking about the London Mayoralty, then he has only ever beaten Ken Livingstone, who has never been typical of the Labour Party, who is no longer even a member of it, and who is not going to be on the ballot anywhere at the next General Election.

Another hung Parliament is coming, however, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it. A new party will be registered before the House of Commons rises for the summer recess, even if I have to pay for it myself, ongoing lawfare or no ongoing lawfare. And I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up. I would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so. In any event, please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment