Wednesday 26 June 2019

Just A GNU?

Neither Yvette Cooper nor Hilary Benn has ruled out becoming Prime Minister in a "Government of National Unity". Cooper came third at the Labour Leadership Election before last, while Benn came fourth at a Labour Deputy Leadership Election 12 years ago. 

The potential Labour members or supporters of a "Government of National Unity" are economically well to the right of the present Government, and would probably also be far more gung-ho militarily. More broadly and more deeply, if the Government were a "Government of National Unity", then what would that make everyone else? And what measures would that justify against everyone else?

Another hung Parliament is coming, however, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it. A new party will be registered before the House of Commons rises for the summer recess, even if I have to pay for it myself, ongoing lawfare or no ongoing lawfare.

And I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up. I would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so. In any event, please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment