Wednesday 19 June 2019

Eminently Feasible?

That's that, then. No candidate for Leader of the Conservative Party would take Britain out of the EU on or before 31st October. We always knew that. But now, it is official.

Boris Johnson is Tony Blair's supreme triumph. 25 years ago, Blair pulled plain, old-fashioned class rank to elbow aside the man with whom he had been assigned an office in order to teach him so much as the basics, and then to dismiss as also-rans two vastly more experienced candidates for Leader of the Labour Party. A generation later, and he we are. With this Conservative Leadership Election in general, and with Boris Johnson in particular.

Meanwhile, most Labour MPs continue to acknowledge no Leader but Blair. Another hung Parliament is coming, however, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it. A new party will be registered before the House of Commons rises for the summer recess, even if I have to pay for it myself, ongoing lawfare or no ongoing lawfare.

And I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up. I would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so. In any event, please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment