Tuesday 25 June 2019

What Little Remains

Will Labour call for a second referendum, and then campaign for a Remain vote?

Probably not, because either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt would have to try and take the United Kingdom out of the European Union in the first place for that to become anything more than the most hypothetical of questions.

Neither of them has any intention of doing any such thing. If he did, then his Government would fall the next day, or even the same day. And in any case, he does not believe in it. 

Like Michael Gove, Johnson stunned David Cameron by coming out for Leave with a view to a future Leadership Election to be determined by the Conservative Party's mostly pro-Brexit members rather than by its heavily Remainer MPs.

Both Johnson and Gove will have voted Remain, or they would not have come first and third among those MPs, with the frankly pro-Remain Jeremy Hunt in second place.

Of course, the Parliamentary Labour Party is just as bad. Another hung Parliament is coming, however, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it.

A new party will be registered before the House of Commons rises for the summer recess, even if I have to pay for it myself, ongoing lawfare or no ongoing lawfare. 

And I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up.

I would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so.

In any event, please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment