Tuesday 10 September 2024

I Am Not A Number

Are these early releases that unusual? I was less than two weeks into a 12-month stretch when a wholly unsolicited letter under my cell door told me that I would be let out after three months. I duly was.

If anything, I can only wonder what any nonviolent offender might have done to be required to serve 40 per cent of a sentence. In my experience, it is 25.

If that is not normal, then anyone would think that the entire system had thought from day one that I was as obviously innocent as numerous Prison Officers and successive Probation Officers never tired of telling me that I was.

2 comments:

  1. As you know they'd have released you that night if they could have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have longer holidays without having left the country.

      Delete