Monday 8 June 2009

Lift Up Your Eyes To The Hills?

Nowhere could be more white working-class than the North East, where the BNP vote was derisory. I love the North East to the marrow of my bones.

But that is why I frequently despair of it.

Stephen Hughes is the reason why I have never voted Labour in a European Election. Before I was a Labour Party member (which is to say, well before I left school), I heard him explain that he believed that the nation-states of Europe should be abolished, leaving only the EU and the regions. I have since heard him say this on every occasion that I have ever heard him say anything.

And in any case, what combination of sycophancy and masochism kept Labour at the top of the poll here even this time round? We look completely ridiculous.

But betrayed and neglected farmers, fishermen and former mining communities do know how to make their point properly. In Cornwall.

2 comments:

  1. The very fact that the North East is overwhelmingly white is the very reason that the BNP do so well.
    "Minorities" are not seen as threatening. Which of course they arent in Manchester or Barnsley.

    It is easy to be non racist and even anti racist in places where there is one race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The membership list published not so long ago showed a high concentration here in County Durham (ninety-nine per cent White British at the last census), and especially in the east, where the District of Easington, uniquely in the country, was one hundred per cent White British.

    ReplyDelete