Monday 30 October 2023

One Week To Go

See you at Durham Crown Court on Monday 6th November. I am to answer a single charge of having published six blogposts, of which two do not exist, two do not say anything like what is alleged, and two have nothing to do with anything remotely pertinent.

It took the Police two months to arrest me, but to this day no Police Officer has ever set eyes on any of those posts, since I was arrested and charged on simple trust in the word of the complainant, a former Police Officer who claimed to have been shown them by person or persons unknown, and on whose credibility alone depend all of my previous convictions, among much else. At the time of writing, that is the Prosecution's own position, also in writing.

This, this, this and this still apply. In 2021, I did enter guilty pleas, on advice that I should have ignored. It is the biggest regret of my life. I am morally and factually innocent of every criminal offence with which I have ever been charged. Who says otherwise? Tell me a name.

In 2020, there were no fingerprints. They could not produce the envelope. They said that they had lost it. They were allowed to present some sort of reconstruction, featuring reconstructed prints that may or may not have been mine or any of millions of other people's, if they had been originals, which they were not. This site has linked to Matthew Franklin Cooper's longer than any other has, and he would make a very good fit for my thinktank, for my weekly magazine, for my monthly cultural review, and for my quarterly academic journal.

But all of that was barely part of the Crown Prosecution Service's case. It had told my brief that it was going to drop the whole thing on the first day, but instead it introduced the propensity evidence on which alone I was convicted by a jury that had been explicitly directed to "disregard" the concept of conviction beyond reasonable doubt. That direction made it into Peter Hitchens's column, and while I ought not to discuss private correspondence, he told me that he had heard of two such cases that week. I do wonder whose the other one was.

Thus, the State made itself dependent on the credibility of my latest accuser, whom the Police take so seriously that it took them two months to arrest me, and whom the CPS takes so seriously that it requested in open court, to my solicitor's delighted amazement, that I be put on unconditional bail. Pursuant to that, see you at Durham Crown Court on Monday 6th November.

2 comments:

  1. How are you going to get there with the buses on strike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And perhaps after another flood. But I'll be there.

      Delete