Wednesday 17 March 2010

Just Say No

Of course methadrone should be made illegal. And how the hell can it be taken in schools, be it legal or not? I realise that I go back a bit now, but, although there was no smoking ban generally in those days, even 16-year-olds were not permitted to smoke on school premises in my day, nor were even 18-year-olds allowed to consume alcohol, which was banned from the premises. Such strictures were entirely typical of, let the reader understand, 1990s comps. What changed? When? How? And how do we put things back to the way they should be?

4 comments:

  1. It's taken the same way as cocaine, so the police keep being called to pubs and parties only to find that the gear is legal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How inconvenient for all concerned. I suppose that I had better not dig out my father's silver snuff box after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think society has become more tolerant of drugs in general, what with kids and adults often drugged up to their eyeballs nowadays on prescription medication for ailments that I sometimes find to be rather dubious. I think being a rambunctious male child is now considered a medical condition.

    I don't know what the situation is in Britain, but in the U.S., drug companies can advertise medication on TV, in magazines, etc. I think this is diluting the scientific basis for when medication is warranted or not, and is perhaps creating consumer demand for drugs which would not otherwise exist. Therefore, I think advertising for medication (outside of relatively weak medication like cold medication or cough syrup) should be banned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I think being a rambunctious male child is now considered a medical condition"

    Oh, yes. Keep your eye on this blog where that one is concerned.

    ReplyDelete