Tuesday 11 August 2020

Banana Split?

David Miliband is only marginally younger than Keir Starmer and Boris Johnson. They are all in their middle fifties. But if the former MP for South Shields wanted back in the game, then North West Durham will be requiring a Labour candidate. Both the then MP and her predecessor supported his Leadership candidacy 10 years ago, although the Constituency Labour Party nominated his brother, who beat him. 

They are going to have to sort it out between themselves, but either Chris Williamson or George Galloway may reasonably be expected to contest any seat that Miliband did. Just in case neither of them were able to do that here, then I would be, as I am now, minded to vote for Richard Holden, who has hit the ground running.

Even so, though, this could tempt me to stand for Parliament again, something that I am still perfectly eligible to do. This time, not only a saved deposit, but a vote larger than the margin of victory, would be well within my grasp.

The same goes for the 57. If any of you were to be the Labour candidate at North West Durham, then I would stand against you. That would not be a snap General Election. I would have had ample time in which to do everything necessary to save my deposit, quite realistically to come third, and certainly to take more votes than Richard's margin of victory over you. I would know exactly how to do that. As you know.

Of course, there is someone else as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment