Saturday 5 September 2009

All Is Well, Safely Rest, God Is Nigh

A very happy hundredth birthday to the Girl Guides. Duty to God and the Queen, indeed. As the basis, both of helping other people, and of being part of a global family in which all members are loyal to God and to their respective countries. Splendid stuff.

The Scouts went mixed, which I still cannot get my head around. It has been confirmed to me that even something as basic as sleeping each patrol to a tent is now obviously impossible. They did to pack 'em in. And now, they have one hundred thousand fewer members than the Guides. Lesson learned?

3 comments:

  1. I am an ex -scout (Catholic Boy Scouts of Ireland) which was a 32 county organisation and had a vague unofficial relationship with World Scouting. This was because they recognised only organisations based on "national oundaries"
    And of course we were completely ignored by official scouting in Norn Iron as we were organised on a 32 county basis
    CBSI is now officially disbanded but now full integrated into Scouting Ireland a 32 county organisation and fuly recognised by World Scouting.
    I am happy to report that relations are much better with Norn Iron British scouts and there is even some joint camps/jamborees.

    Having seen my own sons be a bit lukewarm about Scouting (too old fashioned) I am glad to see that it has shaken off the old "dib did dib" image.
    #1 grandson is still a little young for membership but I do so agree that membership of the scouts is a most useful facility in teaching children patriotism and discipline.
    Long may it flourish in both our countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If flourished a lot better before it went mixed. A few girls going through a transient tomboy phase were never any reason to take away the all-male space. Least of all while the all-female space still existed. And flourished. And flourishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im not saying I fully approve of all the new stuff here either.
    But I am after all a man approaching 60. It is therefore my role in life to disapprove of everything young people do.
    The reality is of course my scouting experience was 1960s and up to mid 1970s. And I grudgingly accept that it is 2009.
    I am still asked to write references for lads I knew or more likely now their own sons.

    ReplyDelete