Wednesday 1 October 2008

Local, National and International

Regular readers will be familiar (though not as familiar as I am - his insanely abusive comments have to be rejected several times per day) with "Break Dancing Jesus". I know exactly who BDJ is, and I sometimes find myself wondering what I have ever done to him, certainly compared to what he once did to me, to no long-term good on his own part, nor any long-term harm on mine. Yet somehow or other, he has become quite, quite demented in his embittered hatred of me.

But anyway, for and on behalf of the New Labour Establishment as it imposes itself in these parts, he lately threatened me with Oona King as the Labour PPC for North West Durham. Well, bring her on. The rumours to that effect now reach me daily, and I can think of only one reason why they might not turn out to be correct, namely that New Labour believes the people of County Durham, being overwhelmingly either of or from the white working class, to be borderline, if borderline, Nazis (actually a middle-class movement, but the semi-educated New Labour lot cannot be expected to know that). Of course, they do believe that. But dare they say so explicitly, by quashing the rumours and not running Oona King after all?

Not that hers is the only name that one hears. Another is that of Sharon Hodgson, an MP whose neighbouring seat is to be abolished by boundary changes. But she falls between two stools: she has a heavy Tyneside accent, making her too Northern for New Labour, and the wrong sort of Northern, arguably for Consett, and certainly for Crook. Here in County Durham, we do not like to be treated as the backyard of Tyneside or Teesside. Of course, New Labour does regard us as such. But dare they say so explicitly, by running someone who could not get herself selected for the successor to the Gateshead seat that she already holds?

There is pointedly no rumour of a local Labour candidate, and, what with the all-women shortlist, I for one cannot think of who such a local Labour candidate might be. Can anyone else?

In any case, of course, people have rumbled what they are being asked to vote for by voting for New Labour, or the Tories, or the Lib Dems. That cartel offers nothing to this country's mainstream of economically social democratic, morally and socially conservative British and Commonwealth patriots. In the next Parliament, it plans the reduction of the NHS to a pure commissioner of services, the introduction of school vouchers while even state schools are permitted to charge absolutely any fees they like (far beyond the value of any voucher), war against Iran and Russia, and the complete abolition of public transport, local government and social housing. Among many other delights, of course.

Some of us are determined to provide a voice for the mainstream. First and above all else, we need candidates for June's European Elections. The likes of student discussion boards and Sixth Form social networking by photograph can wait. If that's how you like your politics (i.e., with the politics taken out), then you already have the options of New Labour, the Cameron Tories and the Lib Dems.

And the rules are the rules, the law is the law: we really will act against people using our name without approval, which is against the law. Again, if you prefer student union politics to the real thing, then you already have the options of New Labour, the Cameron Tories and the Lib Dems.

Do get in touch. All you have to do is follow the link above. How hard is that? On it, you will even find an email address. Or alternatively, feel free to contact me directly - davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Once again, how hard is that?

If you have not done either of these rather basic things, then you have no right to complain. Nor, indeed, have you if you have done them and then found that we are not to your way of thinking. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, you already have the options of New Labour, the Cameron Tories and the Lib Dems.

10 comments:

  1. errrr....you seem to be about 9-12 months behind. Sharon Hodgson was selected for one of the new Sunderland seats last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of us regular readers are very confused with your constant references to "Break Dancing Jesus". We only know anything about him because you keep on addressing posts to him, but we don't know who he is and we don't know why he matters. We have no reason to think that he speaks for the Labour Party, or that he's doing anything other than trying - very successfully, we should add - to wind you up. Why don't you just tell us who he is and have done with it? If this blog is just a private conversation between you and someone with a silly name, the rest of us will just stop reading - it's very dull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sharon Hodgson was selected for one of the new Sunderland seats last year."

    I thought so too. But several serving Labour Councillors here are adamant that she's on for this seat.

    Oh well, if not, then that only leaves Oona. Bring her on.

    "We have no reason to think that he speaks for the Labour Party"

    But I have. In fact, I know that he does, beacuse (as is obviously his intention) I know who he is.

    "to wind you up"

    Oh, there's a lot more to it than that...

    " Why don't you just tell us who he is and have done with it?"

    That's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, David - calm down. We're all on the same page here, more or less. Will try and email you soon -can't do it tonight, have a meeting of the BPA regional grouping for the south west - we're trying to drum up some additional interest in UWE. But hopefully I'll email you tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you anything you like that Oona King will not go for selection for NW Durham.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobby, I look forward to it.

    And Andy, then you just think that people here won't vote for a black person (actually a mixed-race, more than half-white person, like me). They should respond in kind, and I trust that they will.

    You know as well as I do who BDJ is, and that when he makes threats like this, he makes them with authority. Well, I dare New Labour to follow through. As it is, they are too frightened, because they have a view of this part of the world which is itself a form of racism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Andy, then you just think that people here won't vote for a black person (actually a mixed-race, more than half-white person, like me). They should respond in kind, and I trust that they will.

    No, no, I don't. I just don't think Oona is interested in going for the NW Durham seat. It's nothing to do with race at all. I don't want to go for the NW Durham seat either - because I'm not interested in being an MP. Doesn't mean I'm a racist.

    You know as well as I do who BDJ is, and that when he makes threats like this, he makes them with authority.

    No, I genuinely don't. I have no idea who your local friends and enemies are - not my part of the world. You seem to think he's someone you know. I don't think I know anyone you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I did think that you were someone else. Apologies.

    Well, she certainly does want to be an MP again. And the threat has been made (I am in absolutely no doubt as to both who and what BDJ is). So, will they follow through with it? If not, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's the harm in your saying who BDJ is?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's for him, not me. If that's what he prefers to call himself on the Internet, then he can please himself.

    ReplyDelete