Thursday 10 April 2008

Is The Renaissance Scholar Dead?

Oh no, I have to agree with A C Grayling!

But what does Adrian Monk mean by "take us forward"? Not so much "forward how?" as "forward why?" Like economics and politics, science and technology are means, not ends.

Still, I don't like the word "Renaissance", with its pejorative connotations about the Middle Ages. That was when science really started.

That was when there were plenty of what we would now call "Renaissance men". That was when there also many such women, before the misogyny of nostalgia for the Classical world unrecapitulated in Christ, before the destruction of the nunneries in Protestant Europe, and before a rather spineless Catholic reaction in terms of what was done to the nunneries in Catholic Europe.

And that was when there was no concept of a split between art and science.

2 comments:

  1. I mean things like better medicine, hygiene, and technology...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said, those are means (though none the worse for that), not ends. I want them, and I've made it clear why I want them. But why do you want them?

    ReplyDelete