Sunday 29 August 2010

Last of the Summer Wine

I watched it for the first time that I can specifically remember, and the script confirmed why I had not been bothering to keep up with it.

But think of all those fiftysomething actors now approaching National Treasure status. Ten or fifteen years from now, they will probably still be alive, but what will they be doing? Where will be be displaying them, as we have been displaying Russ Abbot, Burt Kwouk, Josephine Tewson, Trevor Bannister, Jean Alexander, Frank Thornton and, of course, Peter Sallis?

I hope it got thirty million viewers. I don't expect that it did, but I wish that it had, even though, in itself, it didn't deserve to. It has not been cancelled because too few people were watching it. It has been cancelled because the wrong people were watching it. In very healthy numbers indeed compared to plenty of things watched by the right people. So it had to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment