Sunday 6 November 2011

The Right Direction?

I am delighted that Pat Glass now has shadow responsibility for young people's transport. Pat has already decried the County Council's withdrawal of subsidised travel to the four Catholic secondary schools in County Durham. At one of them, she recently convened a public meeting against (yes, that is the word) the cuts in bus services to Lanchester and Burnhope.

If all three of those bus cuts - to the Catholic schools including Saint Bede's, to Lanchester, and to Burnhope - had been reversed by the time of the County Council Elections in May 2013, then I, by then a Parish Councillor for 14 years as well as a former eight-year governor of two schools in the Ward, might not feel obliged either to contest this seat or, if I am too ill for that, to secure the election of someone equally suitable. Either way, this is the Ward where as Sub-Agent I once secured Labour its only ever overall majority of the total vote, and that on a four-way split.

Over to you, Pat.

4 comments:

  1. Your parish vote went up dramatically once you went Independent. Fleming nearly lost his seat and has now left the village. By May 2013, how many fairly high profile political books will you have published? At least two, I expect. Maybe three.

    Your dynastic votes in Burnhope could be mined by the tonne, you might get enough on name recognition up there to put you in on their own.

    I hope that you are in robust health when this election comes. I can see myself voting for someone else endorsed by you on these issues. I cannot see myself failing to vote for you. I am not the only person who would feel like that, not by a very long way.

    Richie, being Opposition, could get away with it. Ozzie is the Labour Chief Whip who pushed through all three of these cuts. His would be the seat that you took. But I don't need to tell you, if you want a friend in politics, buy a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Labour had to set aside their own rules and let a Catholic onto a women only short list because they feared you would ruin for the Parliament seat. You had nowhere near as much chance of winning that as you would have of winning this. Keep at it, you can get us our buses back in the next year and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the ideal candidate for all the reasons already given, but also because of your illness. You are medically unable to drive, you told me.

    ReplyDelete