Wednesday 3 April 2013

Notice This

The closing date for applications to be the guaranteed victorious Labour candidate at South Shields is Friday, 5th April. The email went out yesterday. Tuesday. For Friday.

Interviews will be held this Saturday, 6th April. In London. Well over £100 in train travel away. From South Shields, that is. Clearly, they are not expecting any applications from there.

Still, at least that is not the crippling cost of becoming the Labour candidate for a safe or winnable seat under normal circumstances.

In the words of an old and impeccably middle-class friend and contemporary of mine who would otherwise seriously consider it, "It's a rich boys' game now."

3 comments:

  1. I had a vague notion of applying to be candidate just to see what would happen. Then I thought, why bother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a long standing resident of South Shields, I have followed your blog witbh great intersest for some time. I would urge you to consider changing your local allegiance from North-West Durham to our seat, as I feel you would be certain to put up a victorious challenge to whoever the Labour Party might select. We want you!

    For those who did not see Mr Lindsay's excellent earlier invitation, see here: http://davidaslindsay.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/you-can-have-me-if-you-want-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not standing anywhere before 2015. By which time, I should have raised some funds. Do get in touch.

    ReplyDelete