Friday 8 February 2008

So That's How You Get A First In History From Cambridge, Is It?

According to Michael Portillo, this country separated religion from the law "a very long time ago" (Andrew Neil was on hand to clarify that it was "about four hundred years ago"). As I once shouted at a particularly poor Cambridge Footlights "comedian" appearing here, I'm glad I only got into Durham (he answered that Durham had rejected him, and the whole audience cheered).

Seventy-two per cent of people told the last census that they were Christians. The Common Law is in fact Europe's most perfect preservation of the Thomist Natural Law given practical effect. All three of our political traditions derive directly and explicitly from Christianity. The digging up of those roots is highly controversial within all three parties, and is a key contributing factor to the numerical collapse of all of them.

Do I really need to go on? Because I could, you know. At very great length and in very great detail. Which someone needs to do, if we are ever really going to confront Islam and a range of other threats.

I'm glad I only got into Durham. And I'm very, very glad that I read Theology.

No comments:

Post a Comment