Wednesday 24 July 2019

New Labour, New Britain

Today marks the supreme triumph of Tony Blair.

25 years ago, on frankly class grounds, he knifed Gordon Brown, who had taught him everything he knew, and then he elbowed aside John Prescott and Margaret Beckett, who were also far better qualified than he was.

25 years later, a caricature of a public school buffoon will today become Prime Minister. Try and imagine that a generation ago. You can't. Of course you can't. Thank you, Tony Blair.

Another hung Parliament is coming, however, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it. A new party is now in the process of registration. 

I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up.

I would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so. 

In any event, please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment