Wednesday 24 July 2019

In The Other Direction

Jo Swinson and Caroline Lucas are entirely correct, and they make an important point against a second referendum on EU membership.

I would not have stopped campaigning for Brexit if there had been a vote to Remain, any more than people like me stopped doing so after the 1975 referendum, or after the 1983 General Election.

The case for Brexit is the case for Brexit. It has nothing to do with the result of an opinion poll in 2016.

When Swinson and Lucas express the same view in the other direction, then I entirely respect them for that.

What I do not want is for them to hold the balance of power in the coming hung Parliament. I want our people to hold that balance. A new party is now in the process of registration. 

I will stand for Parliament here at North West Durham even if I can raise only the deposit, which I could do by going pretty overdrawn, although that was not how I was brought up.

I would still prefer to raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign, but I am no longer making my candidacy conditional on having done so. 

In any event, please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment