Tuesday 5 June 2012

Happy and Glorious

Every Parish Mass should conclude as Sunday's did, with the National Anthem, Jerusalem, and then Land of Hope and Glory on the organ. Domine salvam fac and Zadok the Priest would also have gone down a treat, and are both definitely well within the range of our outstanding organist. Bring on Christ the King.

The Catholic primary school next door was still festooned with Union Jack bunting from its party on Friday, as was the C of E one across the road, where Lanchester had its street party. Mostly organised through the Methodist chapel, so dry. But never mind: if the Queen lives like her mother, then the Catholics can organise the one in 2022, and we all know what that would mean.

Free commemorative New Testaments were distributed, with the Union Jack on the cover and no mention of Michael Gove. "One for each family." Of course. The NIV, but, again, never mind. It says a very great deal, both that it was the NIV, and that a copy of that translation came with the official logo of the Church of England on the back cover. And, again, no mention of Michael Gove.

Yesterday saw me keeping Collingwood Day in my linen suit (next year, I might buy a Panama hat), my Union Jack cufflinks, and my red, white and blue arrangement of breast pocket handkerchiefs. Making stately progress around the field with a jug of Pimm's in one hand and a glass in the other, I was literally embraced by numerous tutees past and present. Yes, they had been drinking. Sometimes heavily. But even so.

All in all, an excellent couple of days, as it were a Loyal Toast followed by a College Toast.

6 comments:

  1. David why don't you suggest this to your Priest & organist yourself? They can only say no. I'm sure that if All Saints offered such a rousing finale to its services it would appeal to many in the Parish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Domine salvam fac might be pushing it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had Zadok the Priest at some point on Christ the King, if we can have it and not the nonexistent feat of "Youth Sunday". Our organist and choir are excellent.

    Incidentally, in Durham for Collingwood Day, I noticed that the Cathedral was flying, not the Union Flag, but Saint George's Flag.

    The Catholic Church will certainly be a significant force against the dissolution of the Union, as is already the case in in Scotland; Catholics have no desire to go down the road of who is or is not "really" English, Scots or Welsh.

    But might the Church of England be positioning itself as the ecclesiastical wing of emerging English separatism?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still not sold on the (now)assumed Catholic loyalty to the House of Wettin.

    I was surprised to see two flags flying from our church bell tower the other day. I suppose it says something that I was equally amazed to see the Flag of Vatican City ruffling in the summer winds as I was the British tricolor next to it. These are heady days indeed.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most natural alliance in the world today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me David, are you still the Senior Common Room President at Collingwood?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I didn't seek another term at the AGM. Too much else on, and one doesn't wish to go stale.

    But my successor is absolutely capital; I'd have stayed on anyway if I couldn't have been sure of that. Email me if you are interested in joining our thriving band, and I shall pass you on to her.

    On topic, please.

    ReplyDelete