Monday 7 December 2009

Etonians Unite

I have never met an Etonian whom I didn't like. Admittedly, I have never knowingly met a member of of the Bullingdon Club. But I even shared a student house with an Etonian, and he is now my friend on Facebook. However, there are other major public schools. Yet not even a cartel or consortium, but Eton alone, has taken over the Conservative Party, as it laughably still insists on calling itself. And that is very, very odd.

Likewise, I have many friends in Unite, although I have never been a member of it. I am all in favour of trade unions and of their political activism. However, there are other large and very rich trade unions. Yet not even a cartel or consortium, but Unite alone, has taken over the Labour Party, as it laughably still insists on calling itself. And that is very, very odd.

But the oddest thing of all is that either a bastion of the old upper class, or a trade union, would wish to have anything to do with either of those parties these days. Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment