Thursday 16 August 2018

Hinc Lucem et Pocula Sacra?

I am sorry, Stormzy, you are an important voice of your generation, but specifying that the beneficiaries of your scholarships to Cambridge be black is the wrong approach. Black as defined how, and by whom?

Two of my great-grandfathers were as dark as you are. I would have been a Labour District Council candidate if I had not been mixed-race in the pre-Corbyn years. I would have no ongoing legal problems if I were not mixed-race in the fiefdom of Labour anti-Corbynism.

I am the first to say that the anti-racist and anti-imperialist struggle is fundamental to the struggle for economic equality and for international peace. But that is its context. The one per cent could be as diverse as it liked, but it would still be the one per cent.

You want to do good, and you will do some. But you are missing the opportunity to do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment