Monday 2 April 2018

Letter To The Crown Prosecution Service

Just sent, copied to my solicitor and to journalists: 

Dear Sir or Madam, 

By the time that you read this, you will have only six working days in which to prepare any case against me in time for my trial date (11th April, at Durham Crown Court). Frankly, that is impossible. You have never had a case against me. The supposed similarities between the letter and my published work were comprehensively refuted when the Police first interviewed me, on 13th March 2017. They either did not exist, or they were attributed quotations from the work of other people, including William Shakespeare. 

The hypothetical possibility of a fingerprint was also dealt with and dismissed in full on that occasion, yet you charged me a month later on the basis of a single fingerprint that may or may not have come from one of my hands but not from the other, on one side but not the other of a folded piece of paper. There is no other fingerprint evidence, which is to say that there is no fingerprint evidence whatever. There is no handwriting evidence. There is no DNA evidence. There is no proof of postage. I shall say that again: there is no evidence that the letter was ever posted, not only by me, but by anyone.

If there is no public interest in prosecuting the father of Poppi Worthington, then there is certainly none in prosecuting me. Your political point was made when I failed to be elected to Durham County Council 11 months ago. Not least because the Crown Prosecution Service is hardly in a position to add unnecessarily to its troubles at the moment, I trust that this outrageous waste of public money will now be discontinued.

Yours faithfully,

David Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment