Tuesday 27 November 2018

Show Some Respect

If this television debate is to feature an advocate of full and uncompromising Brexit, then there is simply only one credible candidate, since he is head and shoulders above all other orators in that cause. Step forward, George Galloway.

When it comes to this sort of thing, then there is a very conscious exclusion of George. In 2015, UKIP and the Green Party, each with one MP, were permitted to participate in the General Election debates, but Respect, with one MP, was not. Guess who Respect's one MP was.

George and I can drive each other to distraction. It is impossible to see us in the same party again, as we were until 2003. Mind you, it is impossible to see either of us in any party again. On that score, we have both become Groucho Marxists, who would never join any party that would have us as members. Not that any party ever would have us as members.

Another hung Parliament is coming, however, and we need our people to hold the balance of power in it. It is increasingly obvious where George intends to stand, and nowhere could be more appropriate for him, complete with the dragon-slaying in this case.

I, meanwhile, will stand for this parliamentary seat of North West Durham, if I can raise the £10,000 necessary to mount a serious campaign. Please email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com. Very many thanks.

2 comments:

  1. He says he's met you once. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/man-accused-sending-malicious-letter-12965741

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the Chronicle said that.

      In the flesh? Three times, one of them many years ago. But we were in daily contact for many months at one time, and I have been a caller on his radio programme twice.

      The second time, he asked me directly to stand for Parliament, as he has also done several times when reading out my tweets. He began with, "Do I have the honour of addressing the great David Lindsay?"

      When we met in person a few weeks later, he publicly embraced me. From that occasion, the inscription in my copy of his book, I'm Not The Only One, reads "To my comrade David Lindsay, with respect, George Galloway."

      He has signed several published round-robin letters of mine, notably the one in The Guardian about fake news, the one in the Morning Star about Donald Trump, and the one in the Northern Echo about the Teaching Assistants, which set off the ongoing persecution of me. He has also signed several that have not been published, including one that furiously denounced that persecution.

      At his invitation, I appeared in the pilot for a television programme of his that, sadly, was never commissioned. He once said live on air that he would take a peerage if I did.

      And, perhaps more seriously, he has never formally resigned as one of my Campaign Patrons.

      Delete