Sunday 14 February 2016

Not All Roses Are Red

Nor are violets blue. Violets are violet. That is why they are called violets, and that is why it is called violet.

I cannot understand those who profess to have "booked a table" for this evening. How do you know that she even likes snooker?

I have never sent a card for this occasion, and I have only ever received one. It was from a girl at school who, like me, is now 38, but who, unlike me, is now a grandparent. Some bullets are well and truly dodged.

Anyway, while not all roses are red, the blood of the martyrs is.

By the miracle of cyberspace, I bring you the Flower-Crowned Skull of St Valentine, which may be venerated at the Basilica of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, in Rome.

Far more edifying than anything else today, as I am sure that we can all agree.

Ora pro nobis.

No comments:

Post a Comment