Monday, 3 August 2026

Rod Liddle RIP

Rod Liddle made his name opposing the Iraq War. Economically, he never left the Left. There was a passage in Selfish, Whining Monkeys in which he pointed out the similarities between Frankfurt and Chicago as a way of explaining why the Frankfurt School and the Chicago School blended so well. That was the work of a real intellect. To the best of my knowledge, there is now no one with what would once have been called three Fleet Street columns, by which I do not mean three per week on the same paper. One would love to see Rod’s go to voices of the anti-woke Left, but who? No one who could write like him, that’s for sure.

I only knew Rod slightly, after he had moved back to the North East in recent years. But no matter how wrong I thought that he was, he was always a glorious read, and very friendly in person. I once sent him a pamphlet to ask him to give it an endorsement to print on the cover. His reply was, “I don’t agree with it.” So that was what went on the cover: “I don’t agree with it.” Rod Liddle. When I told him that (after a debate at which he had been speaking alongside Richard Holden and Tom Harwood; it was quite a night), he laughed so hard that he spat out his drink. He will be missed terribly. He already is.

2 comments:

  1. I can see those columns just going to the next Tory Boy in line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same would go for Peter Hitchens's when the time came, and eventually for Tim Stanley's.

      Delete