Monday 4 April 2011

The Best Things Come

"I don't know what took you so bloody long to say it," were the words of an extremely senior figure in these parts in response to my previous post that I would stand for Parliament against Durham County Council's scrapping of transport to Catholic schools. After all, this has now been going on for weeks.

My hysterical baiters who have tried to post abusive comments on that do not seem to grasp that the people who have in some cases come close to begging me to do this have known me for anything up to 30 years, went to school with me, taught me, served on Governing Bodies with me (especially the one most affected by this policy, from which I was removed to the institution's incandescence by a politician whose own party subsequently forbade him from seeking re-election), and various combinations of those previous dealings with me.

Then there are the people, still hugely influential in their communities, who have either left the Labour Party or could do so perfectly happily. When the former government abolished Derwentside District Council, it deprived them of the greater part of their incomes. So they owe the Labour Party absolutely nothing, apart from a good, hard slap should the opportunity arise. Again, these are people who have known me very well indeed for a very long time, and several of whom were devoted to my late father. On that basis, a number of them always wanted me as Hilary Armstrong's successor.

Words cannot express the depth of their very public loathing for the probable Labour candidate for a new seat formed out of most or all of North West Durham and most or all of that candidate's present constituency, North Durham. In a good many wards, I honestly cannot imagine who would sign Kevan Jones's nomination papers. And people notice that in areas such as this. North West Durham, please note, is where the word came down from on high that the Labour candidate simply had to be a Catholic, despite the fact that the Labour Party's own rules ban Catholics from all-women shortlists.

But by no means all of my Labour or ex-Labour supporters are Catholics. The voters angered by the school transport policy are enough to save my deposit and to cut the Labour majority, which fell by 50 per cent last time, sufficiently to give this seat to someone else under First Past The Post. They are enough to keep me in beyond the first or second rounds of an AV election, especially if there were Far Left or Far Right candidates, which there would be. But they are not the sum total of my support, and certainly not if second and subsequent preferences came into play, especially against quite so divisive a figure as Kevan Jones.

I could reasonably hope for the second preferences of everyone whose first preference was for Watts Stelling, and I could realistically hope for him and his Councillor supporters to say so, in which case I would gladly return the compliment, since nothing could persuade me to endorse in any way either Kevan Jones or one of the Coalition parties. My dealings with him and with them have always been more than cordial, and his and their co-operation with my principal base, the sane section of the old Derwentside Labour, were exemplary.

My views make me the natural second preference candidate for Labour voters, who would undoubtedly be the single largest bloc in the first round. Many of my views also make me the natural second preference candidate for Northern, rural Tories, who have no chance of winning here and whose party no longer speaks for them, as its candidate here will almost certainly make abundantly clear; again, I could reasonably expect key local figures to say, if not that, then something as near to it as made no practical difference. I hate to break the news to certain people who read this blog, but they have met me before, you know. Funny emails introducing me as if I were a stranger to them would not be sympathetically received.

And so one could go on. Pray for my health. Email me. See the PayPal button on this site. And, to make this a lot easier, vote Yes to AV.

11 comments:

  1. Praise God! And I can hardly wait for any ignorant interventions from outside, "I understand that you have recently had dealings with one David Lindsay" as if anybody political active did not already know you very well indeed. Not only that but any such missive could automatically be categorised as plain old anti-Catholicism. This is the best news that I have read anywhere in years and years. Under AV you would win. I was not sure about voting yes but I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have long campaigned to preserve and restore the regimental system in the Army, rebuild the Navy, save the RAF, look after the Gurkhas and the Commonwealth personnel, and not use the Forces for anything except the defence of British interests. There could be no starker contrast with the present disgraceful state of affairs. You cannot possibly get into Parliament too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They only had to have a Catholic in NW Durham because they thought you were going to stand, but then you got sick again. I know you are friendly with her and and her husband but you also know how angry they were to be stuck with someone whose experience was 18 months on a parish council but without the only reason, to stop you.

    Kevan is a shoo in for the merged seat - younger, ex-Minister, GMB royalty, used to be Deputy Leader of Newcastle Council, nasty whereas Pat Glass just isn't nasty, you know all this but other readers might not. You would devastate his majority under FPTP and give the seat to Owen Temple or whoever. Under AV you would win on something like the third or fourth count, maybe fifth. But you would still win.

    With one of your mates now the Labour Leader's intellectual guru and several more of them hanging about, I am surprised you haven't already been offered something. Between now and 2015 I bet you will be, if only to save this seat. Expect a call after a yes vote in the AV referendum at least. What would you say?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been politically active for far too long to answer a hypothetical question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about national godfathers but in terms of local politics the cappo di tutti cappi is a member of at least one of your political groups on Facebook. He always did think the world of you and he is still a properly powerful man round here, with plenty of reason to resent being shafted by New Labour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They will be a lot more worried about you if there is a No vote. You winning this seat would not bother them, you would just become the David Stoddart of the Lower House. You beating Kevan Jones would brighten up many of their lives no end, especially as it would cost him the ministerial office he would expect next time round. But you taking enough votes to give this seat to Owen Temple, maybe the only Lib Dem gain of the entire election, now that really would horrify them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Consett's Finest5 April 2011 at 10:18

    Your last effort not only got Labour to break its own rules but ended up contributing to the sacking of the Northern Cross editor, although he had it coming with his coverage of ex-Catholic women ordained in the C of E etc. You were a leading critic of that too, as I recall. Why was a non-Catholic ever appointed in the first place?

    The NC knows not to f*ck with you again, even before it becomes about saving St. Bede's from the closure the County Council obviously wants for the old place. Expect a paper distributed free at the back of churches and nearly nowhere else to grant you a full page "interview" in the last edition before polling day or have to answer to the people who can order a stop to almost all its distribution.

    Good luck with getting rid of Damian Thompson from the Herald as well. That has been a hell of a long time coming but there is nothing like a man with an independent income and nothing to fear to finish off the job. He has been selling himself as the voice of Catholic orthodoxy for far too long. He is no such thing but he successfully occupies the platform that should belong to those who are. Including you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just checked my Northern Cross and the editor's name has not changed. Why has Consett's Finest said he has been sacked?

    I would agree with his sentiments (and yours?) about Damian Thompson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Consett's Unfinest5 April 2011 at 10:58

    We obviously both went to school with him, neighbour. I don't know why he doesn't buy the Catholic Herald and the Northern Cross, neither of them is owned by the Church. I don't mean purchase copies, most people ignore the cover price of the Cross and if anything put a small coin in the SVP box.

    I mean acquire the titles and install himself as proprietor and editor in chief, with a weekly Herald column and a monthly Cross one. These things are famously strapped for cash and David's suits breathe "I'll make you an offer you can't refuse." We have both known him for 20 years, you know what I mean.

    The intellectual guru of Ed Miliband's brand of Labour has one of those Facebook accounts that only tell you so much, but if you know how to get around that he has only 81 friends. But one of them is David Lindsay. Two or three books by this time next year and with those sorts of connections the phone call making David an offer he can't refuse looks more and more likely. That one who has resigned from running the Big Society but keeps the title for life is only about our age, David would definitely make more of an effort that that and he has a lot more to say.

    With every seat being new next time, ennobling Frank Field or Kate Hoey and imposing whoever the Leader feels like on Birkenhead or Vauxhall will not be an option. Up the corridor is more David's natural habitat anyway. He would certainly dress the part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea who edits the Northern Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is not really David Lindsay reading matter, grinning priests at parish parties and accounts of primary school football matches.

    You used to have letters in it correcting elementary doctrinal errors (when it wrote that "priests are no longer deacons" and that sort of thing) but you have stopped bothering and nobody could blame you.

    Loving the idea of you as a Blue Labour peer but are you not worried that "up the corridor" is no longer posh enough for you?

    ReplyDelete