Thursday 2 August 2018

Getting The Old Gang Back Together

It has come up on Twitter this afternoon, so yes, I would indeed have some sort of staff position for Neil Fleming, should he choose to accept it, once I was the Member of Parliament for North West Durham. 

I thought of Neil when I saw Jonathan Ashworth, for the first time in nearly 20 years, at the Durham Miners' Gala last month. Even in this heat, I thought, hell can still freeze over.

But no, many of that generation, which is of course my generation, were never really as right-wing as we who were blessed with the pure souls of the personally unambitious were able to allege, sometimes in jest and sometimes not.

I would seek to work with a Labour, a Conservative, a Liberal Democrat and an Independent representative in each of the County Wards, ideally including someone in each of the former District Wards. Those would communicate the concerns of local people to me, and then work with them and with me in order to address those concerns. 

One such could be Neil Fleming. Filling the Labour place in the Lanchester Ward, which includes Burnhope. You can either see, or there would be no point in trying to explain to you, quite how magnanimous I am being here.

It is just as well that I am also determined to ensure that a Gala, and very preferably the Gala, is held in Burnhope to mark the centenary of the one in 1926.

Then again, I intend to create some kind of Policy Advisor position in each of the four blocs, Labour, Conservative, Liberal Democrat, and Independent.

Now that he is back from that there London, Neil's claim to that Labour role looks pretty much incontrovertible. I need £10,000 in order to stand for Parliament with any chance of winning.

My crowdfunding page has been taken down without my knowledge or consent. But you can still email davidaslindsay@hotmail.com instead, and that address accepts PayPal.

No comments:

Post a Comment