Wednesday 6 April 2011

Tea and Sympathy

Rod Liddle writes:

The Guardian’s political editor, Michael White, has been writing about the possibility of there being a British version of the American’s Tea Party. He says: "Potential leaders? Motormouth red-top columnists such as Jon Gaunt, Rod Liddle and Richard Littlejohn are routinely touted."

Are we? Excellent. I think I’d make a wonderful leader of a British Tea Party. As someone who believes in high taxation and the redistribution of wealth, increased state investment in industry, state control of our railways and public utilities, a higher minimum wage and an element of protectionism for our industries and a limit on the supposed free movement of labour, I think I am exactly the man for the job. I suppose my membership of the Labour Party might help attract people who wouldn’t normally join such a party too.

That’s the trouble with these bien pensant guardianista monkeys. If Vladimir Lenin had pointed out that he thought widescale immigration wasn’t altogether an unalloyed benefit to the country, the likes of Michael White would have had him marked down as a free market right winger. Not absolutely sure that The Sunday Times is a red top, either, still less this place.

My suspicion is that the currents of public opinion run a little differently over here and that we’ve never, for better or worse, been possessed of the profound anti-statist mentality which is intrinsic to the American free market right. And as White later concedes, we have UKIP already...

10 comments:

  1. Would that be Rod Liddle of both The 2020 Vision and David Lindsay For Parliament?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How doid his campaigning and visit to NW Durham go in the end? I must have missed his column when he talked about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. He could have brought me both tea and sympathy is hospital or otherwise on my sick bed, I suppose. But it would hardly have been worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. But presumably he wrote about your adventures more broadly, reflected on the important political currents sweeping the country as personnified by you and others, the voice of the anti war, pro family yada yada yada. Which column was that in? I'll have to look it up in the archive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, he and I have moved on to other things. Watch this space.

    Meanwhile, if Ed Miliband is serious about Blue Labour ... no, not here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has he rejoined Labour in search of a seat? I hope so and I hope Ed demonstrates his commitment to Blue/True Labour not New Labour by making sure he gets one. Hope for you yet, David?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope of what? Rejoining the Labour Party? No chance. I'm not starting again in it at my age.

    And anyway, what did it it ever give me when I was in it? A Parish Council seat that I kept with an increased vote as an Independent. Two school governorships at least one of which I would have got anyway, and would still have if I had gone about via that route. And that was it.

    As for anything further up, do I look like Luciana Berger or Georgia Gould?

    Roll on electoral reform.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and he really are close, aren't you? I don't just mean politically. You would have been on course for something big if he had got that editor's job at the Indie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "If" is a bigger word than it looks.

    ReplyDelete